Wednesday, January 2, 2008

What I would do for a cheeseburger right now...

It’s about 11:15pm here. Freshly showered, ready for bed, and back from a long yet overall entertaining day. I had planned on going to sleep, but my mind is just racing. It might be from the Red Bull Gene and I had after our group’s 2 day long search for the Holy Grail. No, I’m not talking about any religious artifacts or precious jewelry. My hunger was for something of the utmost importance….

AMERICAN FOOD.

As the familiar yellow and green sign of a newly built Subway approached, I joined the ranks of treasure hunters who had discovered such treasures as the sunken Titanic or Chinese terra cotta soldiers. Further discoveries of a Pizza Hut and Domino’s Pizza around the corner forced a tiny tear out of my eye…As Gene and I basked in the gentle glow of these wonderfully out-of place fluorescent signs, we nearly forgot about our earlier tuberculosis control center-cricket experience. I’ll save that story for another day.

On a more serious note, my experience in Mysore has been overwhelming. Just 5 days ago, I had called Cathy to let her know how much I wanted to come home, how I missed my normal amenities, how the pollution and smell of the city made my stomach turn. The poverty that is apparent all over the city is striking. The pictures of the city tell the story.

However, 5 days later, all I can see is the beauty that Mysore has to offer our small, foreign group of 18 strangers from Minnesota. The hospitality and friendliness of the people quickly melt any reservations I initially have from their outward appearance. Eager to bring you a hot cup of Chai tea or invite you to their homes for a meal, everyone seems to have a genuine interest in the 18 people invading their city. The delicious aroma of fresh fruit and spices temporarily fill your nostrils in the open-air markets. The dazzling colors of dyes and silks draw your gaze away from the dirt and filth of the street. And the enchanting sounds of instruments that we are not yet accustomed to drown out the sounds of honking motorists buzzing through the city. As I sit and type this blog now, I can’t help but appreciate how lucky I am to have this opportunity to open my eyes to a new culture and world that I may never get to see again.

In 5 short days, I’ve come to fully love a city that I absolutely despised when I first arrived. Amazing. I can’t wait to see what India has in store for me next. Now, if I could only get this internet thing to work…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harvey,
It sound like an interesting place. It goes to show you how fortunate we are in this country. I can't imagine having someone doing the #2 in the middle of the street, but yet I can.... I hope you are taking it all in so you can share more of your stories as they are great to read. Hope all is well. Just remember Texas boy - it was -7 two nights ago. Enjoy that desert heat.

Brent

janace said...

Harvey,
If you were here with me, i'd get you that cheeseburger you want. In fact, we'd go to Harvey's since its your name and all. Its a very nice fast food restaurant, its gormay, but fast. Nice chatting to you, love yah lots<3

your hot